My next guest on The Richard Robbins Show has been professionally UnSpeaking to audiences around the world for over a decade. Scott Stratten, best-selling author, internationally-acclaimed speaker and co-owner of UnMarketing Inc., shares his views on the changing landscape of business and how we need to effectively communicate with our audiences (clients).
When chatting about his work, Scott can’t help but to light up. “Literally, I get applause for my job. I’ve got one of the few jobs that gets a round of applause when I come out and when I walk away.”
Then COVID-19 struck.
With quarantine in effect, public speakers, including Scott, are out of work. “The past decade I’ve lived my dream. Doing 60 [speaking engagements] a year for a decade and now it’s all gone. Like a lot of people’s dreams right now.” Scott has had an epiphany of sorts although, “My work isn’t my worth. It was so hard for me to realize that.”
In my 30th episode of The Richard Robbins Show, Scott and I have a terrific talk about the future of marketing amidst COVID-19. We speak on the advantages of niche marketing, social media strategies and why it’s crucial to create a separation between the brand you represent and your personal brand.
Don’t UnDerestimate the power of this interview with the UnMarketing master, Scott Stratten.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode
- What is the true purpose of marketing?
- How do you separate yourself from the brand you represent?
- How to build a community alliance and advocacy to help create your ‘unbranding.’
- How to get compounding interest with your content.
- Scott’s advice on “Putting your reps in.”
- Why every industry needs to adapt its marketing strategy post-COVID.
- How can the value of your skill help you build during this pandemic?
- Why niche marketing is crucial to your success in a saturated market.
- Why taking advantage of the ‘off-season’ will create success when it matters.
Ideas Worth Sharing
Unmarketing is about auditioning yourself in front of your audience. Unbranding is what other people think. @unmarketing @RichardLRobbins Click To Tweet
The ultimate goal in all of marketing is to have others spread the word for you. When you create compelling content, that’s what evokes emotion, which creates the spreading of it. @unmarketing @RichardLRobbins Click To Tweet
Your brand is what people think you are. @unmarketing @RichardLRobbins Click To Tweet
Social media is the defining part of (my tag line). Stop marketing, start engaging. It isn’t just another channel to push ads through. Social is about being social. Social is about connecting. Newspaper ads, magazines, billboards,… Click To Tweet
Resources in Today’s Episode
- Scott Stratten
- Scott Stratten | The Books
- San Francisco
- Melanie Galea
- Fort McMurray 2016 Wildfire
- Oakville, Ontario
- Brad J. Lamb Realty Inc.
- Sheridan College
- Runnin’ with the Devil by Noel E. Monk
- Cirque Du Soleil