Last year, in the midst of the pandemic, a dear friend of mine, Sam Hewitt, introduced me to one of the best books I have ever read: Building a StoryBrand. Today, I am pleased to share with you an interview with the Vice President of StoryBrand, Dr. J.J. Peterson.
J.J. has always been fascinated with storytelling. He graduated with a degree in Communications, studied Theology for his Masters and achieved a Ph.D. in Narrative Marketing and Theology of Comedy. Suffice it to say, Dr. Peterson knows a thing or two about effective storytelling.
J.J. explains that, “What story does, is it helps you focus on the important things. Story is a sense making device. It is told in a way that helps the audience focus on a specific point, outcome or perspective.”
He explains that focusing on your customer and making them the hero is non-negotiable. “You need to invite your customers into a story and help them see themselves in a story instead of telling your story.”
In this outstanding episode of The Richard Robbins Show, J.J. and I sit down to discuss the importance of storytelling in your business.
J.J. explains why shifting from fact based marketing to narrative marketing is crucial when connecting to your audience. He breaks down StoryBrand’s 7 Step Framework for storytelling in business, shares why strong storytelling can help you influence and sell more and provides ways to implement storytelling into your business, from your website to your emails, in a very simple way.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode
- How to effectively use storytelling to pitch products and services.
- StoryBrands 7 Step Framework to create the perfect story for your audience.
- The importance of Narrative Transportation in business to influence your audience.
- The non-negotiable Rules of Story.
- How to affect the hearts, minds and actions of your audience and potential clients.
- Why clear communication is crucial to succeeding in selling your product.
- Why marketing just ‘one thing’ and identifying what your customer wants is paramount.
- How to market yourself as a real estate professional using the StoryBrand method.
Ideas Worth SharingStory has been used for centuries to try to move people. You need to use story to influence society. In order to influence people, you need to invite them into a story. You want to have them see themselves in your story.… Click To Tweet People can experience narrative transportation in marketing collateral. This happens in a movie and in a book, but it can always happen on a website, in an email, in a tweet, in Instagram. @DrJJPeterson @Richardlrobbins Click To Tweet If you have the answer to a problem, then you are doing a disservice if you are not communicating clearly. People do not buy the best products and services, they buy the products and services they can understand the fastest.… Click To Tweet
Resources in Today’s Episode
- Dr. J.J. Peterson
- Donald Miller
- Narrative Storytelling
- Star Wars
- Hunger Games
- Lars and the Real Girl
- Ryan Gosling
- Building a StoryBrand by Donald Miller