On the 107th episode of The Richard Robbins Show, I sit down with a woman who was nicknamed The Negotiator by her father when she was just a little girl. Today, she is an instructor of MBA Negotiations at the Schulich School of Business at York University in Toronto. She has dedicated herself to empowering Fortune 500 clients and diverse audiences across the globe to become better communicators and negotiators.
Fotini Iconomopoulos, author of Say Less, Get More, is an expert in navigating high-stakes negotiations and has made a career teaching her clients, audiences and students how to become better negotiators.
“You can negotiate and not only protect relationships but also build better ones if you’re doing it effectively,” Fotini says. She continues by saying that curiosity can be your most powerful tool while sitting down with another party, “Who is sitting across from me right now and what is important to them? If you haven’t considered the person on the other side, why should they engage with you?”
In this episode, Fotini and I talk about the evolution of negotiation and why a present-day approach is necessary to get what you want. Fotini gives real estate professionals insight on how to approach conversations with their clients, pinpoints the importance of knowing your clients why, and explains that it can be just as powerful to listen as talking.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode
- How to master negotiation techniques with proven strategies that work
- The key to successful negotiations through confident conversations
- Overcoming the fear in negotiations and addressing your concerns head-on
- Avoiding the pitfalls of greed and ego in negotiation
- Learning the latest approach to proper negotiation tactics
- Cooperative negotiation vs. fear-based tactics
- Understanding the why behind the decisions your clients make
- The power of options and empowering your clients with choices
- Why curiosity will increase the success of your negotiations
- The art of silence and knowing when to listen
Ideas Worth SharingA negotiation is just a conversation between two people and if you can make them feel that way, it is going to be a much more fruitful conversation. Click To Tweet You’re never ready and if you are ready, you should probably be looking for the next challenge. Click To Tweet Curiosity is your superpower during negotiations. Click To Tweet
Resources in Today’s Episode
- Fotini Iconomopoulos
- Say Less, Get More by Fotini Iconomopoulos
- The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck
- Good Will Hunting
- Good Awkward by Henna Pryor
- Presence by Amy Cuddy
Enjoy the show?
Subscribe to the podcast using your favourite service or sign up here to receive Richard’s podcast notifications and weekly blog updates.